By David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar
- An crucial source for college kids and academics of modernist literature and culture
- Broad in scope and complete in coverage
- Includes greater than 60 contributions from one of the most individual modernist students on each side of the Atlantic
- Brings jointly entries on parts of modernist tradition, modern highbrow and aesthetic activities, and all of the genres of modernist writing and art
- Features 25 essays at the sign texts of modernist literature, from James Joyce’s Ulysses to Zora Neal Hurston’s Their Eyes have been staring at God
- Pays shut awareness to either British and American modernism
Read or Download A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
The phenomenon of big name burst upon the realm scene a few century in the past, as video clips and smooth media introduced unheard of, larger-than-life personalities sooner than the loads. throughout the comparable period, modernist authors have been growing works that outlined excessive tradition in our society and set aesthetics except the center- and low-brow tradition within which famous person supposedly is living.
During this most modern addition to Oxford's Modernist Literature & tradition sequence, popular modernist student Michael North poses basic questions on the connection among modernity and comedian shape in movie, animation, the visible arts, and literature. Machine-Age Comedy vividly constructs a cultural historical past that spans the complete 20th century, displaying how alterations wrought via industrialization have without end altered the comedian mode.
Whereas modernism's engagement with the occult has been approached by way of critics because the results of a lack of religion in illustration, an try to draw on technology because the basic discourse of modernity, or as a hidden historical past of rules, Leigh Wilson argues that those discourses have at their center a mystical perform which remakes the connection among global and illustration.
This Readers advisor bargains a stimulating and available creation to the major feedback which surrounds the various variety of literature of the modernist interval. Sarah Davison explores a number of severe works, from preliminary pronouncements to fresh stories that have formed the way in which that Anglo-American modernism is known and theorized at the present time.
- Modernism and the Marketplace: Literary Culture and Consumer Capitalism in Rhys, Woolf, Stein, and Nella Larsen (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- To Have or Have Not: Essays on Commerce and Capital in Modernist Theatre
- East-West Exchange and Late Modernism: Williams, Moore, Pound
- The Extinct Scene: Late Modernism and Everyday Life (Modernist Latitudes)
Additional resources for A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar